ashtanga at the yoga center retreat
what is ashtanga yoga?
Ashtanga is a highly structured, set series of sequences that increase in difficulty as you progress. It emphasizes quick movements, flexibility and strength. Founded in India by K. Pattabhi Jois, it is often described as a modern form of classic yoga.
In a classic Ashtanga sequence, you go through the same poses in the same order, for the same breath count, each time you practice. This combination of intense movement and focus makes Ashtanga a “sweaty meditation”, will elevate your practice and is excellent for anyone looking for a fast-paced challenge.
david swenson, visiting instructor
David is recognized today as one of the world’s foremost practitioners and instructors of Ashtanga Yoga. David is the author of the highly popular and bestselling book, “Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual” which has been printed in 10 different languages and sold internationally.
David will be teaching 5 workshops the weekend of April 21st. You can take them individually, or bundle all 5 together and save!
- Friday, 4/21 from 6-8pm: Ashtanga Basics
- Saturday, 4/22 from 9-11am: Fully-Led Primary Series
- Saturday, 4/22 from 12:30-3pm: Flying, Floating & Handstands
- Sunday, 4/23 from 9-11:30am: Inversions, Backbends & Sitting With Your Breath
- Sunday, 4/23 from 12:30-3pm: Really Hip Openings for the Hips
David’s 40-hour ashtanga teacher training
- Monday, 4/24 through Friday, 4/28: 9am-12pm & 1:30-4:30pm
- Saturday, 4/29: 9am-1pm & 2:30–4:30pm
- Sunday, 4/30: 9am-1pm